It’s a smile, it’s a kiss, it’s a sip of wine…it’s SUMMERTIME! - Kenny Chesney
Summer is upon us, which usually means we start pulling out our beachwear, sunscreen, suitcases, and flip-flops. And, if you're in Jamaica, you can certainly agree that it's HOT! Nevertheless, summer is all about beaches, pools, rivers, relaxation, and generally, just having fun.
What are your plans for this summer? Pool or boat parties, beach lounges, river frolicking, fishing, backyard BBQs, rum parties, or site hopping?
Whatever they are, let's do them responsibly and safely while having the time of our lives. Here are a few summer essentials that you should have ready and waiting to hit the road. Let's go!
10 Basic Summer Essentials for Summer Survival
1. Sunglasses - Sunglasses are a must-have, no two ways about that. Invest in a good pair, or two, so that you'll always have them handy.
2. Sunscreen - People, really, this is a no-brainer. It's just a must-have! Why you may ask? Because it protects your skin from the sun's harmful ultraviolet radiation (UVA & UVB). Make sure your sunscreen has SPF 15 or higher. You can pick these up at your local pharmacy or supermarket, or order them online. Note - please wear your sunscreen even if the skies are overcast.
3. Swimwear - Whether it's a bikini, a tankini, or shorts, it doesn't matter; whatever floats your boat, or better yet, whatever rocks your body. Just look sexy. After all, IT'S SUMMER!
4. Jewelry - No better way to rock that swimwear than to add some pops of color and bling, aka jewelry. Ladies, you all know a piece of jewelry can do wonders for any outfit.
Check out our featured pieces from Antoinette's Artsy Accessories.
5. Comfortable Clothing - Folks, it's hot, and may even get unbearably hotter. You don't want to be walking around with your clothes sticking to you like a glue trap - you aren't a mouse, fly, or some other undesirable thing. You are cute, sexy, and fabulous. Represent! Of course, the exception to this rule is the good old jeans and short shorts...must-haves, with that white tee. Gentlemen, you are not forgotten, but truth be told, you get away with almost anything you wear; so just do you and look good while doing it.
6. Hats - Besides being stylish, hats are quite protective. They help to ward off the sun's harmful rays and protect your eyes, hair, and skin. Did you know that constant squinting of the eyes can cause you to have more wrinkles around the eyes? Yup. So, wear those hats and sunglasses to reduce the squint.
7. Water Bottle - Did I say it was hot? Yes, it is. You must keep hydrated at all times, it's important, especially if consuming alcohol. And, if you're like me and don't necessarily like plain water just add some fruits, it works. Alternatives: eating watermelon or drinking coconut water. Plus, I also buy cute bottles, with the hope that they will help me drink more - it works, sometimes.
8. The Utility Kit - Next up, the 'utility kit.' Or, I call it my 'emergency kit.' I always have these things in a bag in my car, and this was long before covid came about. So what's in it? Well,
disinfecting wipes and/or regular wipes
face masks, reusable or disposable
gloves (don't ask me why, I just do) and
small trash bags
9. A Sarong - Wear it as an accessory with your swimwear or as part of your outfit. Wet and want to get out of the swimwear without having to put on much clothing? Then a sarong is also a good option.
10. Beach Towel / Blanket - A beach towel or blanket is something that's perfect for the beach, riverside, and park. Lie down, relax, and be one with nature.
That's it, 10 summer essentials that you should have. Now, go forth, embrace the magic of summer, and create memories that will warm your heart long after the sun sets on this extraordinary season. After all, summer is not just a season; it's a state of mind, and with these must-haves in your possession, you're equipped to seize every beautiful moment that comes your way; whether you're lounging by the beach, embarking on a thrilling road trip, or simply savoring the simple pleasures of life. And as Kellie Elmore says...
Some of the best memories are made in flip-flops.
JOIN MY COMMUNITY
Welcome to my space, a place where I can share my greatest inspirations and candidly display the different sides of me and my passion project. This is a space dedicated to stories about Women Over 40, Wellness, Lifestyle, Organizing, Decluttering, and pretty much anything that I find fun and inspiring. I hope you enjoy reading and feel free to leave a comment below. My wish is that you never leave here empty.
Connect with me here or on social media. Your presence leaves a spark for which I am forever grateful️.
CHECK OUT THE LATEST ISSUE OF MY MAGAZINE
There are affiliate links throughout this article. Affiliate links mean I will earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you, whenever you click on any of the links and make an actual purchase.