“It’s summer and time for wandering"~ Kellie Elmore
Ah, the magic of summer! No matter how hot it gets, our bags are packed and we’re ready to get away from it all, to explore and be free. Summer is the perfect time to embark on exciting adventures, explore new destinations, release those inhibitions, and forget about that summer body that didn’t show up on time. It’s time to soak up some sea – get that Vitamin D in; go on a hiking expedition – please speak to your knees, hips, and backs first; or plan a cultural tour in your hometown or a different country.
Whatever you’re planning, proper preparation and a few smart tips can make your summer travel experience(s) even more enjoyable. So, to all my Summer Wanderlusters, here are 7 tips to help you make the most of your summer vacation while remaining as stress-free as possible.
7 Tips to Make Traveling More Memorable
1. Plan ahead. Summer is a peak travel season so it would be wise to plan ahead to avoid high prices and stress. Planning also ensures that you can secure accommodation, flights, and transportation at more affordable costs, and you're better able to work within a budget. Plus, there tends to be a wider selection of accommodations when you plan months in advance.
2. Pack Light. Sad to say, I haven’t learned this one very well. I always pack as if I’m going to live at my next destination; afraid to leave anything behind just in case I need it. Alas, I hardly ever need the stuff, so I end up lugging around heavy bags and leaving limited space to buy new stuff. One day I will learn, nevertheless don’t be me. Pack versatile items that can be mixed and matched, incorporate a few light pieces of clothing (dresses, cargo pants, shorts), and always pack a few white T-shirts - you can't go wrong with those. Ladies, use jewelry and scarves to change the look and feel of your outfit. Oh, and don’t forget your sunglasses! Remember what I told you in last week’s Summer Must-Haves article? No, ok, click here to read it. Next, make sure to pack travel-sized toiletries, and always remember to consider the weather conditions of your destination.
3. Be Prepared for Changes. Traveling can be unpredictable. Ensure you pack a change of underwear/clothes, toiletries, medication, and a snack (yes, flight/train/bus delays and hunger don't mix well) in your personal/carry-on item. Be open to changes and adapt to the situation(s) that present themselves. Be like me - find food, find a comfortable spot, pull up an audio or e-book, and make thy-self comfortable. Stressing over it isn’t going to change a darn thing!
4. Explore the Local Culture. Every city, state, or country you visit has a different culture and/or different traditions. Make sure you learn a little about them beforehand and then immerse yourself in the experiences while there. The best way to do this is to engage with the local community, talk to the people, tantalize your taste buds with the local cuisine, and visit their parks or museums, etc. You'll have many stories to tell when you get home. Note - please remember to respect local traditions, it helps to avoid unpleasant situations.
5. Stay Hydrated. When having fun we oftentimes forget how easy it is to get dehydrated. Stay hydrated! Carry a reusable water bottle and refill it regularly. It's also a good idea to carry some electrolyte tablets to put in your water or have drinks that help to replenish your electrolytes.
6. Sunscreen is Your Best Friend. Apply sunscreen with a high SPF regularly, even on
cloudy days. Wear your hats and sunglasses as well!
7. Capture but Disconnect. We all want to capture those special moments, or those hysterical ones, so that we can share them with our family and friends or use them as a bargaining tool later in life, however, we also need to learn how to disconnect. That my friends, is a great balancing act - when to capture and when to disconnect. But it can be done and must be done so that we can live in the moment, savoring all the beauty surrounding us while allowing our souls to be set free from all our daily stresses.
Summer travel is a time of adventure, relaxation, and discovery. Take advantage of the longer summer days and make the most of your travel experiences. And I assure you, by incorporating these travel tips into your plans, you'll pave the way for a smooth and extraordinary experience. Bon Voyage! Buen Viaje! Gute Fahrt! Buon Viaggio! Have a safe journey! Enjoy your summer travel to the fullest!
Everything good, everything magical, happens between the months of June and August. ~ Jenny Han
JOIN MY COMMUNITY
Welcome to my space, a place where I can share my greatest inspirations and candidly display the different sides of me and my passion project. This is a space dedicated to stories about Women Over 40, Wellness, Lifestyle, Organizing, Decluttering, and pretty much anything that I find fun and inspiring. I hope you enjoy reading and feel free to leave a comment below. My wish is that you never leave here empty.
Connect with me here or on social media. Your presence leaves a spark for which I am forever grateful️.
There are affiliate links throughout this article. Affiliate links mean I will earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you, whenever you click on any of the links and make an actual purchase.